Additional Mathematics 0606
Cambridge IGCSE™ syllabuses are created especially for international students. For over 25 years, we have worked with schools and teachers worldwide to develop syllabuses that are suitable for different countries, different types of schools and for learners with a wide range of abilities.
Cambridge IGCSE Additional Mathematics supports learners in building competency, confidence and fluency in their use of techniques and mathematical understanding. This course helps learners to develop a feel for quantity, patterns and relationships. Learners will develop their reasoning, problem-solving and analytical skills in a variety of contexts.
Cambridge IGCSE Additional Mathematics provides a strong foundation of mathematical knowledge both for candidates studying mathematics at a higher level and those who will require mathematics to support skills in other subjects. It is designed to stretch the most able candidates and provides a smooth transition to Cambridge AS & A Level Mathematics.
Our programmes balance a thorough knowledge and understanding of a subject and help to develop the skills learners need for their next steps in education or employment.
The aims describe the purposes of a course based on this syllabus.
They are not listed in order of priority.
The aims are to:
- Consolidate and extend their mathematical skills, and use these in the context of more advanced techniques
- Further develop their knowledge of mathematical concepts and principles, and use this knowledge for problem solving
- Appreciate the interconnectedness of mathematical knowledge
- Acquire a suitable foundation in mathematics for further study in the subject or in mathematics-related subjects
- Devise mathematical arguments and use and present them precisely and logically
- Integrate information technology (IT) to enhance the mathematical experience
- Develop the confidence to apply their mathematical skills and knowledge in appropriate situations
- Develop creativity and perseverance in the approach to problem solving
- Derive enjoyment and satisfaction from engaging in mathematical pursuits, and gain an appreciation of the elegance and usefulness of mathematics
- Provide foundation for AS Level/Higher study.
All candidates take two papers.
Candidates are eligible for grades A* to E. Grades F and G will not be available. Candidates who do not achieve the minimum mark for grade E will be unclassified.